WYSO Scholarship Offerings
WYSO strives to keep costs as low as possible for families. Tuition fees cover less than 30% of the cost for each student to participate. The balance is made up through fundraising efforts of the WYSO Board, staff, and members. The WYSO Board of Directors encourages members with a financial need to apply for a scholarship. It is a policy that every family should contribute at least a portion of the cost for the benefits received. Consequently, full scholarships are not awarded (maximum award is 95%) and amounts awarded are based on need, available funds, and the number of applicants. Since eligible members have already successfully auditioned, scholarships are not based on musical merit.
The types of scholarships available are described below.
Families can apply for scholarships during the year due to unexpected financial need. All applications are handled in the strictest confidence and in the most timely manner possible.
orchestra Tuition Scholarship
- All WYSO members are eligible. These scholarships cover a portion of the orchestra tuition costs for a member.
Chamber Music Program Scholarship
This scholarship is open to all students who wish to participate in a season’s chamber music program, and covers a portion of the chamber music program tuition.
Private Lesson Scholarship
- All WYSO members are eligible.
- Private Lesson Scholarships cover a maximum awarded amount of $47.50 for 30 lessons between September-May.
- Funding is available to WYSO musicians to help cover the costs of repairs, maintenance, or essential accessories (bow, case, etc.).
Murphy Family Interlochen Scholarship Competition
- Youth Orchestra members interested in attending the Interlochen Summer Camp may use the Youth Concerto Competition to compete for a $1,000 scholarship to assist with the six-week camp tuition and a letter of recommendation from the Youth Orchestra Conductor.
- Members may audition for the Interlochen Scholarship only, the Concerto Competition only, or both.
- Deadline for 2023-2024 is October 28, 2023.
Andrew George Percussion Scholarship
- This fund provides annual scholarship support for percussionists who successfully audition into the Youth Orchestra and participate in the WYSO percussion ensemble.
- Funds may be used for WYSO tuition, private percussion lessons, or a combination of the two.
Lisa Luedtke Piano Scholarship
- For WYSO students in grades 7-12 to help cover the cost of private piano lessons.