Employment: WYSO Orchestra Assistant
WYSO Orchestra Assistant
August 9, 2023
Title: WYSO Orchestra Assistant – 8-15 hours weekly
Reports To: Director of Operations
The Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestras (WYSO) seeks a flexible and organized professional to join one of the most highly respected youth orchestra programs in the country. This is an 8-15 hour per week seasonal part-time position. The Orchestra Assistant’s responsibility will be supporting the activities of five youth orchestras, Chamber Music Program, and multiple ensembles with another Orchestra Assistant, the Librarian & Operations Assistant, and the Director of Operations. General duties include properties, conductor and member assistance, and music library. Hours are 9:00am-5:00pm on Saturdays and/or 9:15am-3:00pm on Sundays throughout the school year (as well as other dates) for special rehearsals and performances.
This position reports to the Director of Operations and is under the direct supervision of the Librarian & Operations Assistant.
Specific Duties Include:
- Set-up and take down of all chairs, stands, platforms, and podiums for rehearsals
- Assist with stage managing during concerts as assigned
- Assist Operations Assistant as needed, including finding/creating replacement musical parts, preparing parts, and keeping storage areas clean and organized
- Assist conductors during rehearsal as needed
- Be able to understand and execute assigned role in evacuation/safety procedures
- Other duties as assigned may include:
- Assist with internal and entrance auditions
- Set-up and take down of properties for WYSO large ensembles, chamber groups, and orchestra sectionals
- Assist with recital activities
- Assist with office or instrument moves as necessary
- Assist with occasional events outside regularly scheduled rehearsals
- Assist with attendance taking
Commitment to an extremely high level of customer service.
High School diploma
Basic knowledge of music performance and orchestra operations.
Basic knowledge of music library procedures and cataloguing.
Ability to self-start, quickly adapt to change, tolerate ambiguity and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Capable of lifting (50lbs), moving, and loading equipment into venues, onto stages or trucks.
Valid driver’s license.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with young people.
Willingness to enthusiastically embrace the mission of the organization.
Must be willing to work Saturdays and/or Sundays during the academic year and staff WYSO concerts and events.
Sense of humor is a real plus!
- Hourly (8-15 hours per week) – Non-exempt
How to Apply:
All interested parties please send a résumé to Joseph Greer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Must be able to pass a background check to be hired for this position.
Position open until filled. No phone calls please.