Employment: WYSO Director of Facilities
WYSO Director of Facilities position
January 3, 2023
Organization: Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestras
Position: WYSO Director of Facilities
Reports to: WYSO Executive Director Bridget Fraser
Coordinates with: Music Director Kyle Knox, Director of Operations Yanzelmalee Rivera, Director of Community Partnerships Andrew Briddell, Director of Development and Marketing Susan Gardels, and additional WYSO staff as appropriate
Compensation: $70,000 – $90,000, commensurate with experience.
Benefits package includes paid time off, health, dental, and short-term disability insurance, and a 403b retirement plan
WYSO is hiring our inaugural Director of Facilities while the new building is under construction so that the successful candidate can literally join our team on the ground floor and lead the commissioning of the WYSO Center for Music. If you are energized by a work environment where two days are rarely the same, this could be the position for you. If you enjoy working with people from a variety of backgrounds, then this could be the job for you. If you like to make sure that the checklist is done before clients arrive, then this could be the opportunity for you. If you take great pride in your work, then this could be the place for you. We need someone like you at WYSO.
The Director of Facilities is responsible for the safe, secure, and successful daily operations of WYSO Center physical plant, including but not limited to the building, grounds, equipment, safety systems, and operational schedule. The Director of Facilities will accomplish this goal through a combination of their own hands-on efforts, directing a small hourly staff, and managing vendor service-provider contracts.
The Director of Facilities is a core member of the WYSO administrative team and shares responsibility for ensuring that the WYSO administrative functions run smoothly and efficiently. This key position has a strong focus on ensuring a safe, efficient, successful, and enjoyable experience for all WYSO Center facilities users.
Additionally, the Director of Facilities will make significant contributions to the development and implementation of WYSO strategic planning efforts. This position requires strong skills in facilities operations, fiscal management, collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders, staff management, and both internal and external communication.
Specific Responsibilities and Facilities
- Work schedule will average 40 hours per week. Some weeks will require additional hours.
- Daily monitoring of all physical plant conditions and its systems.
- Identify and correct any non-conforming conditions of the physical plant and its systems in a timely manner that minimizes disruption to WYSO Center scheduled activities.
- Establish and implement a system to report, prioritize, progress-monitor, and resolve maintenance and repair items.
- Develop and implement a proactive ongoing facility maintenance plan, including but not limited to capital projects.
- Lead the implementation of all WYSO Center facilities policies and operational procedures.
- Negotiate and manage all service contracts related to physical plant maintenance and operations of the WYSO Center, including but not limited to security, IT/AV, HVAC, cleaning and waste removal, and snow removal.
- Implement the WYSO Center master schedule in coordination with WYSO Operations Director and prospective Resident Partner Organizations.
- Coordinate event set-up with WYSO Director of Operations and all other facilities users according to users’ needs and WYSO Center facilities use policies.
- Ensure on-site event support for all facilities users.
- Lead regular reviews of WYSO Center facilities policies and operational procedures and recommend updates to ensure continuous improvement in facility operations.
- Develop and implement annual WYSO Center facilities operation budget.
- Develop the WYSO Center master schedule in coordination with WYSO Operations Director and prospective Resident Partner Organizations.
- Process facilities rental reservation requests, contracts, and billing in accordance with WYSO Center facilities use policies and fee schedules.
- Hire and supervise hourly event management staff.
- Coordinate training for WYSO staff and other facilities users as needed including, but not limited to, safety, security, IT/AV systems, and WYSO Center facilities use policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports and invite input from WYSO Staff, Committees, and Board regarding WYSO Center facilities operations.
- Attend WYSO staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- Regularly solicit client satisfaction feedback from facilities users and use results to inform continuous improvement of facilities operation processes.
- Coordinate with Director of Community Partnerships to promote and sustain mutually beneficial relationships with community organizations, including but not limited to educational organizations, arts organizations, neighborhood/community groups, grant funding organizations, and donors.
- Positive outlook, strong work ethic, and client service focus are essential dispositions.
- Successful experience working with culturally diverse communities and clients.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training required.
- Successful work experience in electrical or mechanical engineering, construction management, facilities management, school administration, or similar fields with a facilities focus.
- Experience managing the commissioning and opening of newly constructed facilities preferred.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including spreadsheets and databases.
- Experience with stewardship processes, board and committee processes, and accounting processes of non-profit organizations preferred.
- Experience with youth programming operations and administration processes preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with an interest and focus on client service.
- Fluency in multiple languages is a plus.
- Meticulous attention to detail, self-starter mentality, team player with a positive attitude who enjoys a mission-driven environment.
- Exceptional task and resource management skills.
- Ability to interact cooperatively and cheerfully with all staff, students, parents, volunteers, vendors, and donors.
- Professional attire and manner.
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
- Willing and able to manage a flexible schedule and attend WYSO Center for Music events as needed.
- Must be physically able to perform all job tasks.
This job is ideal for someone who:
- Has excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Is highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Has the ability to take initiative and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Can cooperate with a culturally diverse group of staff, students, parents, volunteers, and clients.
- Can adapt to change and handle multiple projects under deadlines.
- Enthusiastically embraces the WYSO mission of the organization.
- Has a commitment to excellence in all efforts.
WYSO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply:
- For best consideration submit application materials by January 31, 2023, at 5:00 pm.
- Position open until filled.
- Please submit letter of interest, C.V. and three (3) professional letters of reference to:
Subject line: Director of Facilities Search
WYSO Center floor plans and DRAFT Facility Use Guidelines available upon request.
No phone inquiries please.